How to take pictures of northern lights
- Wear warm clothes and pick a spot away from street light.
- Use a wideangle and set ISO to 100.
- Use manual setting. Set aperture to widest possible (lowest f-number). Set shutter speed to 20-30 sec. Set focus to just short of infinity.
- Use tripod, bean bag or similar to keep the camera steady.
- Use remote releaser or timer.
- Experiment wih composition, try to get an interesting foreground.
- Then just wait. Look for bright lights in the horizon and then shoot away.
- Keep in mind that camera batteries quickly go flat in the cold.